19 May 2011

Billboard

For at least a month now, I've been driving past a billboard that proclaims the impending arrival of Judgement Day. The billboard, courtesy of the folks at Family Radio, guarantees that May 21st is the Day.

Judgement Day. I think that everyone on the planet must have some concept of a final day. The final day. The term itself is evident in most languages, either by translation, or by virtue of being an inherent part of that language.

Anyway, back to the billboard. Like I said, thanks to the billboard, I've been aware of this pronouncement of impending Judgement for some time now. Upon finding out that the billboard is part of an international campaign, I wasn't surprised that the media would pick it up. I also figured that there would be a fair amount of commentary on Facebook about the May 21st crowd.

I expected there would be quite a bit of jeering from non-Christians, though that may seem like a no-brainer, considering the mocking nature of most internet denizens. I was a little taken aback by the mention of proposed "rapture parties" to collectively scoff at the anticipated non-event. I suppose that I really shouldn't be surprised by the Facebook pages and discussion devoted to post-rapture looting and parties. Disappointed - yes, but not surprised.

What I wasn't expecting was the reaction from Christians. I've heard plenty of jeering and mocking and scoffing coming from non-Christians when they're confronted by Christian ideals or concepts. But I was not expecting the same mocking tone to be present in the conversations and Facebook commentary with and by other Christians about Judgement Day being on May 21.

It's not something I can easily put my finger on, or define, but conversations and comments about the folks behind the billboard were almost entirely negative - running the gamut from mocking to outright and vehement disagreement.

Almost without exception, every time I heard about the May 21st prediction from a Christian, I heard that tone that was evident in non-Christian discussion. That worries me.

I'm not going to pretend for a moment that I have figured out all the mysteries of God. I have enough on my plate to determine what He has in mind for my life. But I do know that He wants us to share out of our hearts, the impact that knowing Him has had in our lives.

From what I've read on the Family Radio website, I can't find anything heretical. I can't find anything self-serving. It seems to mostly deal with convincing people that time is short, that the Lord's return is nigh. I honestly don't see any problem with trying to convince people to choose in their hearts whether to follow God or not. Warnings to be vigilant about the return of the Lord are peppered throughout the New Testament.

Why then are these people the subject of so much derision from fellow Christians?

The Family Radio campaign was clearly a major undertaking requiring no small amount of hard work and hard money. I can't look into the hearts of the people behind Family Radio, but to me it seems that they believe passionately in their message. They appear to have responded to their hearts' desires to save their fellow humans from the death that is being apart from God. I can't find fault with that. Much in the same way I can't find fault with the persistent Christian that delivered a message of the Gospel and a Bible to noted atheist Penn Gillette - whose response is here. If you haven't watched this, watch it now, and then consider the message of the Family Radio movement.

These fellow Christians are part of the Body of Christ. I have to believe that they're working out their salvation with fear and trembling as am I. I have to believe that they're peering through the same dark glass. As such, they deserve better than the mockery that sounds more fitting on the lips of unbelievers.




No comments: